i received the hpv shots back in high school. does that mean i cannot get the virus? my doctor is afraid i might have it in my throat.

Dr. Charles Whiting
26 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
Not exactly: There are over 40 different types of HPV virus. The Cervarix vaccine is a vaccine against HPV types 16 & 18. The Gardasil vaccine is a vaccine against HPV types 6, 11, 16, & 18. These were chosen because 16 & 18 are the most common cause of Cervical Cancer while 6 and 11 are the most common cause of genital warts. The vaccine doesn't protect against the less common types. Best wishes.
Answered on Jun 26, 2014