Canada

Have shingles and have been getting rashes on my leg, pubic area, face, mouth why would my doc want a hiv test, i am offended by this i have shingles ?

Dr. Gregory Gilbert
Emergency Medicine 24 years experience
Don't be offended: Be safe, get checked. That is a large number of places to have shingles erupt all at the same time. Your physician is doing his due diligence and making sure there is nothing wrong with your immune system. HIV is common and can be crossed off his list for possible reasons this is occurring to you. Be well, don't be offended, sounds like you have a good doctor!
Dr. David Mcadams
You should be tested: Try not to be offended, your doc has your best interest in mind and is being complete in the work up. 'Shingles' usually appears in a dermatome (meaning that it only follows one single nerve distribution). If we see that it is in MORE than one distribution then we start to worry about other underlying problems because it is not the way that shingles usually presents. I would recommend the test.

Last updated May 30, 2014