U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 46-year-old female asked:

Have shingles and have been getting rashes on my leg, pubic area, face, mouth why would my doc want a hiv test, i am offended by this i have shingles ?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gregory Gilbert
Emergency Medicine 24 years experience
Don't be offended: Be safe, get checked. That is a large number of places to have shingles erupt all at the same time. Your physician is doing his due diligence and making sure there is nothing wrong with your immune system. HIV is common and can be crossed off his list for possible reasons this is occurring to you. Be well, don't be offended, sounds like you have a good doctor!
Dr. David Mcadams
Internal Medicine 24 years experience
You should be tested: Try not to be offended, your doc has your best interest in mind and is being complete in the work up. 'Shingles' usually appears in a dermatome (meaning that it only follows one single nerve distribution). If we see that it is in MORE than one distribution then we start to worry about other underlying problems because it is not the way that shingles usually presents. I would recommend the test.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated May 30, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.