Can you tell me how is psychology stereotyped?

3 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Bernard Seif answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

question but I'll give it a try. Psychologists portrayed in the media are often doing something unethical. Most of us are not happy w/their depiction through movies, books, etc. See American Psychological Association website or your state psychological association website. The PA Psych Assoc has a good one. Peace and good health.

Answered Jun 30, 2015

4k views

Dr. Andrew Berry answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

If psychology has a stereotype, it can be thought of as one of the softer, social sciences. Human behavior is studied and scientific principles are applied in that study. There are many different types of psychology, not limited to clinical psychology whichinvolves working in a clinic with patients. Psychologists do experimentation, consulting, and working in laboratories.

Answered Feb 20, 2015

3.2k views

Dr. Steven Hanley answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

One stereotype is that all psychologists are reserved, quiet, and don't say much during psychotherapy sessions. Of course there are therapists like that. My experience, however, is that there are as many types of psychologists as there are people. The therapeutic relationship is the most important predictor of therapeutic success. Finding a therapist that matches your needs is key.

Answered Jan 14, 2016

1.7k views