MN
A 30-year-old female asked about a 30-year-old female:

A friend of mine got high at 19 weeks pregnant, she has not touched anything since then, will it show up in babies meconium at birth in 20 weeks?

Meconium tests: Meconium starts to form about 12 weeks into pregnancy and additives will remain. The sensitivity off the test may or may not reach back that far.Meconium testing for drugs is not routine in most locations.It is a normal part of surveillance if someone has come to the attention of family services for previous drug use/family violence. If she stays clean they may have no reason to test.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Athena Patrianakos-hoobler
15 years experience
Yes: If the drug is used after formation of meconium (usually during 2nd trimester- week 13-27), then the meconium will contain the drug to which the fetus was exposed. Usually, meconium is not excreted from the baby until after birth. After delivery, baby may pass meconium for up to 2-3 days after birth. Therefore if meconium is tested within the first 2-3 days after birth, the test may be positive.