U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom (Great Britain)
A 19-year-old male asked:

I am a binge drinker for 2 years. alcohol doesn't affect me anymore, 11 units would get me drunk before but now i'd take 3-4 times more and still me ok?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joel Kahn
Specializes in Emergency Medicine
Seek help: This sounds like you are developing a serious drinking problem at an early age, with the development of tolerance to smaller amounts of alcohol, and self-described binge drinking. You are recognizing that you have a problem, and you should seek counseling or treatment for alcohol dependency.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 30 years experience
Tolerance: You, sir, are an alcoholic. When alcohol stops working it is a good indication that it may be time to get the solution to the mental condition behind the need to drink so much. The disease of alcoholism is treatable and there can be an incredible life of purpose and fellowship after stopping drinking. Please get to a good physician to guide you through this process and direct you to aa.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 8, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.