U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 31-year-old member asked:

What to do if my sister is a heroin addict?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
A Verified Doctoranswered
Addiction Medicine 51 years experience
For her, nothing you: Can do except tell her how you feel. For yourself, getting family counseling and/or attending alanon meetings (a self-help group for family members of addicts) can help you deal with your guilt, shame, anger, concern and all the other feelings you likely have. Nobody can make anybody else change - she has to want to. People in alanon or counselors can help you understand what you can;can't do.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 37-year-old member asked:
Does methadone really work for heroin addicts?
3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 41-year-old member asked:
Can somebody tell me how can methadone help heroin addicts?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 26-year-old male asked about a 26-year-old male:
Suboxon isnt working anymore im a heroin addict . I need so much subs an still feel withdrawls?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Mar 30, 2014
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $19/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.