A 38-year-old member asked:
Disclaimer

can you die from diphenhydramine overdose?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Robert Woods
29 years experience Psychiatry
Unfortunately Yes: The medical literature is filled with cases of deaths related to overdose using diphenhydramine. Normally this over-the-counter agent is very safe when used as prescribed to treat allergic reactions, cold and flu like symptoms, insomnia, and motion sickness. Considerable overdosage can lead to cardiac arrest, serious ventricular dysrhythmias, coma, and death.
Answered on May 6, 2020
1
1 thank
Dr. Robert Woods
29 years experience Psychiatry
Intentional ?: Overdose can occur accidentally or intentionally. Although death by Benadryl (diphenhydramine) overdose is rare, there is an antidote that can be administrated at the hospital to treat the symptoms of overdose. If there is suspicion of an intentional overdose one should always go to the hospital. If an individual refuses to go, immediately call 911. Medical professionals will provide the appropriate care.
Answered on Apr 2, 2020

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month

Related questions:

A 44-year-old member asked:
Dr. Christopher Abel
25 years experience Pediatrics
Potentially yes: If you or someone else has taken too much of benadryl, (diphenhydramine) or any other substance, call the national poison control center at 1-800-222- ... Read More
A 40-year-old member asked:
Dr. Steven Machtinger
43 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Yes.: There are numerous studies & case reports in the medical literature of deaths due to either accidental or intentional overdoses of Diphenhydramine (be ... Read More
1
1 thank
A 45-year-old member asked:
Dr. Christopher Abel
25 years experience Pediatrics
Potentially yes: If you or someone else has taken too much of benadryl, (diphenhydramine) or any other substance, call the national poison control center at 1-800-222- ... Read More
1
1 thank
A 40-year-old member asked:
Dr. Louise Andrew
45 years experience Emergency Medicine
No: It's very unlikely. A person might sleep for a number of hours, but the breathing is not affected so dying is extremely unlikely.
4
4 thanks

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month