Albany, GA

I take lexapro for ptsd used to take geodon, (ziprasidone) abilify, trazodone and seroquel what are other meds for ptsd?

Dr. Donald Jacobson
PTSD meds: Medication for ptsd can include literally any of the standard psychiatric medication. A lot depends upon what other symptoms you have such as panic disorder or generalized anxiety, depression, insomnia, or even hallucinations or personality instability. I can see that you've already been on a broad range of medications. Your doctors certainly aware which antidepressants are approved for ptsd. One non-approved medication is starting to take hold is the use of Minipress (prazosin) for nightmares and it's also starting to be used in clinical trials during the day for flashbacks.Valium like drugs remain controversial.Exposure therapy is coming to the fore as probably the most helpful of the psychotherapies available, but the way to have the person face the trauma through exposure is still in a researchform, so it is not yet in wide use. I am curious to see how it's going to work for civilian trauma. It has proven excellent for civilian rape trauma.Best wishes.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 33 years experience
Dr Jacobson is RIGHT: Minipress (prazosin) is a wonderful medication for nightmare control in some people where nothing else works. Quite a revolutionary step in some very bad and chronic cases for parasomnias (nighmares) in folks with PTSD. Ask your doctor about it if you suffer from this condition.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 33 years experience
Provided original answer
In fact, let me go one step further with my answer by saying that I use prazosin as a first line drug because it has been meticulously researched, published, and has SPECIFICITY for nightmare control due to its pharmacological mechanism of action in the area of brain where we believe this type parasomnia associated with PTSD occurs. It does not cause dependency and its dose can be finely tuned.
Jan 14, 2015
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Alianswered
PTSD: Prazosin is another option, worth talking to your doctor about.
Dr. Devon Webster
Medical Oncology 22 years experience
It really depends on what symptoms you are most affected by. For nightmares, prazosin or clonidine can be helpful. If daytime anxiety is a big part of your symptoms, then something else might be better. Ask your psychiatrist.
Apr 8, 2015

Last updated Jan 15, 2019