U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 28-year-old female asked:

Radiator type oil-filled space heater in infant son's room was leaking.i didn't realize until a few days late.was he exposed to toxic fumes?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics 36 years experience
Probably not: The oil is not likely to be inhaled as it typically does not go into the gaseous or vapor state. However, i would discuss with your pediatrician. If you childe should begin wheezing, i would take him to the er.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Glenn Burns
Dr. Glenn Burns commented
Emergency Medicine 21 years experience
Kerosen heaters release carbon monoxide (CO) and are responsible for many deaths every year in the US. CO is odorless, tasteless and invisible and is poisonous. Propane / kerosene or any fuel heater must be used in a well ventilated space or with a proper exhaust system. Early signs of CO poisoning are headaches, nausea, irritability and confusion. Even low doses can do permanent brain injury.
Oct 27, 2015
Last updated Oct 27, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.