does the bubonic plague still exist?

Dr. Mike Moore
Dr. Mike Moore answered
Yes: Plague is still present in the southwestern United States, as well as many other parts of the world. It is easily treatable with antibiotics if diagnosed early.
Yes: Almost all of the approximately 3000 annually reported cases of plague in the world occur in African countries: Botswana, Kenya, Madagascar, Mozambique, Tanzania, and Zaire. A few cases are seen in other parts of the world. The U.S. has 10-15 cases per year, usually in CO, UT, NM, and AZ. Europe has not had plague since WWII. Australia also does not have plague.