can irritable bowel syndrome be treated with herbal supplements?

Dr. Maya Porrino
Yes, in part: Probiotics are often helpful. These are good bacteria, and i usually recommend culturelle brand, which is one capsule daily. If your ibs is diarrhea-predominant, you can try enteric coated peppermint oil capsules, 0.2 ml 3x daily. Turmeric may also help, by decreasing inflammation in the GI tract; take 300-400 mg 3x daily of a standardized extract managing stress and diet are equally important.
Dr. Sandra Pinkham
Holistic Medicine 53 years experience
Possibly: There are many forms of this disorder and a life style approach is usually necessary addressing sleep, healthy diet, exercise, and stress reduction. . Thyme, clove, and oregano oil are anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial herbal supplements that can be helpful. L-glutamine is an Amino Acid that is healing to the GI tract. Check 25-oh vit d level which may be too low.