New Britain, CT

how easy is it to scratch or cut my esophagus if i swallowed robitussin-dm capsules but cracked them first in my mouth, also how long does stomach acid take to dissolve the capsule.

Dr. Mohammed Parvez
Take it easy: Those capsules will get digested by the stomach acid, as they are not made of steel. You should be alright.
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu answered
Allergy and Immunology 57 years experience
Doubtful: Doubt that the medication could harm your esophagus to do any damage. Most medications would dissolve within minutes even without the presence of acid. Just drop a tablet of capsule in tap water and see how fast it disintegrates.

Last updated Mar 18, 2017