New York, NY

Can an allergic reaction be reliably distinguished from an insect bite by visual inspection?

Dr. Clarence Lyons
Sometimes: Sometimes it would be able to be distinguished by visual inspection. Let your doctor see it and tell you what it is.
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 37 years experience
Depends: I expect that it would depend on many factors including: the details of the bite, the overall reaction symptoms, how you measure reliability and the expertise/experience of the one doing the inspection. It is possible - even likely - that the treatment will be similar or the same in any case. You might want to have a doctor try their best. Good luck.