itchy hives from amoxicillin allergy - do i need to do anything or just take claritin (loratadine)?

Dr. Gary Steven
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 30 years experience
Depends on severity: Claritin (loratadine) or zyrtec will help with the itching; a more severe rash may require treatment with prednisone. In most cases, the rash simply goes away within a few days of stopping the antibiotic. Treatment for the rash simply depends on how badly it bothers you. At any rate, you need to stop the antibiotic and notify your doctor if you get a rash while taking it.
Dr. Bhavin Patel
Allergy and Immunology 25 years experience
You can be valuated for Penicillin and Amoxicillin allergy, if it is IgE mediated - by a board certified allergist
Apr 4, 2012
Dr. Martin Ostro
Allergy and Immunology 49 years experience
Stop amoxicillin: Don't take any further doses of Amoxicillin and call your doctor to get alternate antibiotic. Take Cetirizine (generic of zyrtec) 19 mg, 1-2 tabs at bedtime as this is more effective than Claritin (loratadine) for the itching. Consult an allergist to verify it was the Amoxicillin and not something else.