Will whitening teeth damage or weaken a dental crown?

18 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Fernando Juliao answered

Specializes in Dentistry

No!: Teeth bleaching may leave your teeth sensitive temporarily, but will not weaken or damage them as long as you follow directions of products, or of your dentist!

Answered 11/28/2013

4.7k views

Dr. Joseph Capista answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

No: Dental crowns are made of porcelain and are not an organic material so the whitening gels have no effect on crowns.

Answered 2/8/2015

4.3k views

Dr. J. Richard Shih answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

No: The crown will not be affected. But the whitening agent will weaken actual teeth and some glue property used for adhesion if you use the whitening agent the wrong way and not follow your dentist's instruction. Please ask your dentist for advise.

Answered 4/21/2015

2.9k views

Dr. Matthew Church answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

Ask your dentist!: It is right to consider the impact any cosmetic treatment will have on existing restorations. Teeth whitening, in particular, can affect the appearance of a dental crown, but not in the way many people think. Before treating you, your dentist may recommend that you replace an existing crown to match the new, brighter color of your smile.

Answered 6/9/2015

2.7k views

Dr. Debra Rosenblatt answered

Specializes in Dentistry

No: Professional dental bleaching will not change the color of existing composites or crowns. If you are interested in bleaching, a treatment plan is advised prior to restoring your teeth to have optimal shade match.

Answered 4/23/2016

2.6k views