Colorectal cancer is really serious, right?

Dr. Elizabeth Hosfield
19 years experience
Yes: Yes, colorectal carcinoma is a malignant diagnosis and should be viewed as "serious". However, the prognosis varies depending on the type of carcinoma and stage of disease (how far it has advanced). For details on your specific case, you will need to discuss with your oncologist and/or surgeon.
Dr. William Nyman
Radiology 39 years experience
Serious, right!: Colorectal cancer is very serious. It can also be completely and relatively easily cured if detected early. Screening should be performed at around 50 years of age. Certain people are at higher risk and should be checked earlier. Colonoscopy is the most reliable test at this time. If you are having symptoms that concern you, you should ask your dr.
Pathology 50 years experience
Yes: It is serious in that left untreated it is likely to kill the patient. Many early colorectal cancers can be cured with surgery. It is important to have colonoscopic examination to prevent colon cancer or at least catch it in an early stage. Testing for occult blood in stool is a cheaper but less effective way of detecting colorectal cancer.