what can be used instead of an epidural?

Dr. Andrew Germanovich
Pain Management 13 years experience
Depends: On what the epidural was offered for. See your doctor who examined you and treated you for an answer.

How do I know whether I should get low dose epidural?

Dr. R. Wayne Inzer
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Is pain controlled?: The first question, is do you need an epidural or will other options for pain relief be sufficient? If you decide that an epidural is needed, a conversation with your anesthetist about the level, and your wishes will answer that question.

Is it a good idea to get a regular dose epidural?

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Doesnt work that way: If you are getting an epidural i recommend discussing it with the anesthesia provider early in labor. They place a catheter and then medication flows through it. There really is not a choice between a regular dose or a low dose epidural. It has more to do with how much medication flows through the catheter and what medications they choose to use.

Will I be able to push if I am numb from an epidural?

Dr. Ruth Crystal
Yes: The anesthesiologist can always turn down the dose on the epidural if you are too numb. The epidural uses a tiny catheter attached to an IV type pump to continuously place medicine in the fluid around the spinal cord. It can be dialed down if needed.

Is an epidural harmful?

Dr. Anthony Mosley
Neurology 24 years experience
No: There are potential complications as with any procedure, their effects are often temporary, and the steroids do have potential side effects (especially locally, including local bone loss), but they are usually well tolerated if done right.

What does an epidural actually feel like?

Dr. Chintan Sampat
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 18 years experience
Like an injection: The epidural injection is often done with some mild sedation so there should not be significant pain or discomfort during the procedure. When the needle is introduced or the medication is injected, you may feel increased pain in your extremity which is usually temporary. The medication may take up to 1 week to take effect and decrease your pain.