Doctor insights on:
Diet properly: Educating yourself to the proper diet and exercise regimen is the best way to control your blood sugar (diabetes). Carbohydrates and concentrated sweets should be avoided if diabetic. Getting to know your body, the signs and symptoms of high and low sugars, and being compliant with your docotrs advice/rx's/testing and visits will help you stay well. God bless. ...Read more
Try low glycemic: As a rule you want to eat many fruits and vegetables a day, with natural sugars. What you want to avoid is processed sugars in soda, candy, and many snack foods in boxes. Avoid Corn Syrup. I like the 90/10 rule that nutritionists use, goal 90% of diet healthy, and live a little, don't worry about the other 10%. ...Read more
Insulin: High simple sugars in the diet raises your insulin abruptly which causes the deposition of the sugar as fat, in the liver, in the muscles and in areas such as the stomach, thighs. To avoid this, a diet high in fiber and low in processed foods and simple sugars is best. Best of health to you. ...Read more
Nobody does!: "Sugar high" is an urban myth and I don't get them either. Nobody does, really. Research definitely shows that eating sugar, the amount of sugar in the blood, and rapidly rising sugar levels have no effect on mental status, activity level, or feeling high. Any such effects are psychological, or by moms who mistakenly believe that's why their kids act hyper from time to time. So you're normal. ...Read more
Watch carbohydrates: Your body turns carbohydrates you eat into sugar that goes into your blood. If you eat less carbohydrates you'll make less sugar. More importantly, though, is the type of carbohydrates. Simple carbohydrates like sugars, white bread, cake, candy, juice, and sugary soda pop all make your blood sugar go up, and very quickly. Complex carbohydrates like beans, lentils, and green vegetables do it less. ...Read more
See doc/nutritionist: The body has an incredible ability to regulate sugar, but once this ability is diseased as in diabetes, you will have to work extra-hard to help. Healthy, balanced/diabetic diet (diabetes. Org or see a diabetic educator), exercise regularly, keep ideal body wt/wt loss, and of course see your doc for assessment/treatment. Follow your doc's recommendation & I am sure u will do well. Good luck. ...Read more
R/O DIABETES: Diabetes is a very common condition. The first step is to have an exam&Labs. Especially HBA1C. If the initial workup is inconclusive, Rarely a GGT test is needed. Other labs are done to determine Type1 VS Type2. And an appropriate treatment regimen will be started. Follow up is essential every 3 mtgs with monitoring of HBA1C and URINE MICROALBUMIN. ...Read more
The human body tries to keep glucose (sugar) levels in the blood stream fairly steady. There is a complex interaction between several hormones (esp Insulin and glucagon) that either stores excess glucose or makes the liver release stored glucose.
Some people have low glucose because they run out of stores or have excess insulin. Others have high glucose due to insufficient Insulin (diabetes). ...Read more
Diabetes is bad!:
Too much sugar in the blood is a sign of diabetes. In diabetes, the extra glucose or sugar, in the blood can cause lots of organs to not function properly over time, most importantly the heart and blood vessels, nerves, kidneys, and eyes.
This needs to be diagnosed quickly and treated aggressively for prevention of damage to these organs! ...Read more