Is it an emergency to have inability to open wide on my tmj?

Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Not usually.

It would only be an emergency if you were having trouble breathing and needed to be intubated by a doctor. It's very common to be unable to open your mouth wide with TMJ problems.

In brief: Not usually.

Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Maybe

Depends. If you have acute pain.
See an oral surgeon ASAP. If it is not painful, ok to wait a few days.

In brief: Maybe

Depends. If you have acute pain.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia

In brief: It can be

If this just happened rcently, go to your dentist and seek reduction of the problem. If long term you might need the services of an orthodontist or oral surgeon for definitive care.

In brief: It can be

Dr. Robert Eckelson
Dr. Robert Eckelson

In brief: Not necessarily

Depending on how sever your locking and the associated pain with it, it is not necessarily an emergency that needs immediate attention, but waiting can make things worse.
Having a closed lock (limited opening) of the jaw can be very painful and create a lot of anxiety and compromised eating, talking and functioning. I would try and see a dentist and/or tmj/tmd specialist asap.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine