Is sarcoidosis a genetic disease? Will my children get it?

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics
In brief: Family sarcoid
It is not likely that you would give your children sarcoid, however your inherited immune system may make it more likely.
The statistics show about a 16%increase of sarcoid in family. Sarcoid has an unknown cause.Some ideas have been, bacteria in the environment-but scientists have not isolated it; or chemicals in the environment-more common on rural areas, fields/ farmers, health care, & teachers.

In brief: Family sarcoid
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
Great answer
Dr. Thomas Heston
In brief: Unknown
The cause of sarcoidosis is unknown.
Genetic factors may predispose a person to sarcoid. African americans more likely to get than caucasians, and females more likely than males. See: http://sgoti.Ws/zaxodt.

In brief: Unknown
The cause of sarcoidosis is unknown.
Dr. Thomas Heston
Dr. Thomas Heston
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics
In brief: Family sarcoid
There is about a16% incidence of family members having sarcoidosis, twins are a higher incidence.
I believe that the susceptibility is genetically linked to the immune system.There does not seem to an increased incidence between mates. Sarcoid is not considered contagious.Childhood sarcoid is considered rare, but difficult to diagnose.Some milder symptoms are dry eyes, dry skin, salivary glands prob.

In brief: Family sarcoid
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Peter Kurzweil