Should I use a special sunscreen?  

Dr. Frederick Coville
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Not really

The fda has recommended that the term sunblock be dropped as it is often very misleading and can result in patients believing they have more protection from the sun than they actually do.
I agree, a good sunscreen with an spf of 50, that contains both a uvb protector and a metal such as zinc or titanium oxide for uva. That's all you need if you reapply it frequently.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
I recommend that patients have different sun screens for different activities. "Oily" based for swimming, , more Pleasant feeling for cooler weather. Remember screens are for use against sun light not just on hot days.
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: You Choose

Sunscreens work via 2 possible ways: 1) chemical blocks that breakdown the uv rays as they pass through the skin and 2) physical blocks that prevent the uv rays from getting to the skin.
I recommend the physical blocks (zinc and titanium) because they have a very good safety profile and work very effectively. If you are going to be in the sun - use a minimum of spf 15 - follow product directions.

In brief: You Choose

Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard