I have acute porphyria:  can I do the following:   take a flu shot, donate my organs, take a cat scan with the contrast? 

Dr. David Rothfeld
Radiology

In brief: Yes to the CAT scan

No problem with IV contrast.

In brief: Yes to the CAT scan

No problem with IV contrast.
Dr. David Rothfeld
Dr. David Rothfeld
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Yes& no

Now that swine flu vaccinations have begun in some areas, members with acute porphyria (aip, vp, hcp & adp) will be relieved to know that it is fine for them to receive flu and other vaccines.
In fact, since other illnesses can bring on a porphyria attack, remaining healthy is one of the most important ways to prevent acute attacks. No organ donnation?No if you allergic to idione?

In brief: Yes& no

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Adam Smith