How bad should bleeding from fibroids be before surgery?

Depends. There are two issues here: medical risk from anemia from too much bleeding and your quality of life. A doctor check your blood count and easily know if there is any danger but only you can decide how much the fibroids bother you. But fibroid surgery is usually minimally invasive now so it is much quicker and easier than in the past.
Quality of life. If your bleeding is affecting your life style such that you can't function normally several days a month, it ruins vacations, it interferes with sexual function, and it causes anemia and fatigue, you are at an action line. The best action might be removal of a submucosal fibroid by hysteroscopy, an endometrial ablation, a uterine artery embolization, or a hysterectomy. Talk to your doctor.
Depends. Fibroids are very common. Symptoms in women who have them are far less frequent. When the fibroids lead to excessively long or painful periods something should be done particulary if the bleeding is leaving you anemic because your body can't build up the blood fast enough. Surgery is the last resort. Birth control and uterine artery embolization may help control the bleeding well enough.