What is “latent” porphyria?  if my doctor told me that I have “latent” porphyria, does this mean that I will never have any symptoms?

Dr. Kelty Baker
Internal Medicine - Hematology
In brief: Porphyria
It depends on what type of porphyria we're talking about.
Some porphyrias can be dangerous, and some can be hereditary so you need to be more specific about what type you're worried about so that you can get appropriate advice from your physician. Lots of information can be found on the website for the american porphyria foundation at www.Porphyriafoundation.Com.

In brief: Porphyria
Dr. Kelty Baker
Dr. Kelty Baker
Dr. Paul Cohen
In brief: Heme defect...
No...It means that you have had symptoms; but were not diagnosed; and the symptoms were not severe enough.
Porphyria is a defect in the enzyme pathway that creates "heme"; and can affect the skin and sometimes the nervous system.

In brief: Heme defect...
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen