How are the porphyrias inherited?  can my children inherit porphyria from me?

Dr. K. Olson

In brief: It is possible

It is autosomal dominant.
In addition there are 200 different mutations. The porphobilinogen deaminase gene is responsible - not providing enough to breakdown heme. 1-5 cases per 100, 000 people in the USA.

In brief: It is possible

It is autosomal dominant.
Dr. K. Olson
Dr. K. Olson

In brief: See below

Case of porphyria vary in their inheritance pattern.
Some are autosomal dominate and only require one gene to be inherited. So the child would have a fifty percent chance. Others are autosomal recessive and require two genes, one form each parent. The child would have a twenty five percent chance.

In brief: See below

Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Shontae Buffington