Does Xanax (alprazolam) help with post partum depression?

Dr. Charles Rocamboli

In brief: It shouldn't

Xanax (alprazolam) is an anti anxiety, not an anti-depressant.
I would go to curecrowd.Com to see a multitude of treatment options and crowd sourced results. I hope this helps.

In brief: It shouldn't

Dr. Charles Rocamboli
Dr. Charles Rocamboli
2 comments
Dr. Donald Jacobson
In the past Xanax has been used for depression. The doses for depression are about 6 mg a day however and it is questionable whether getting addicted to that high a dose is worthwhile . It is possible that your doctor diagnosed postpartum anxiety and wants you on Xanax prior to starting an antidepressant. That would make perfect sense. Please discuss it with him or her however since they know the details of your history and your case. Best wishes to you and your baby.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Xanax alone is not a sufficient antidepressant, but the FDA allowed the company to say it was an antianxiety agent which does not cause depression (unlike other benzos, which can). If anxiety features are part of depression, Xanax may be of at least temporary help while other medication is getting started too.
Dr. Adam Levy