Can you outgrow adhd?

Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Sometimes
Statistically, about 1/3 of those with adhd "outgrow" it, about 1/3 see significant improvement but continue to have some residual symptoms and impairment, and about 1/3 continue to have full-blown adhd.
The hyperactivity part improves more often and more predictably than the inattentive part. Learning effective coping skill is key.

In brief: Sometimes
Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Certain symptoms
Some symptoms are compensated for over time.
For example the hyperactivity of a child, will look different than the hyperactivity of an adult. Often adults talk about feelings of restlessness and inabilities to stay on task even when the possible consequences for poor task management are high

In brief: Certain symptoms
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Depends
It is unclear if one can truly outgrow adhd or rather develop coping strategies that minimize its negative impact.
As others have noted, about 1/3 of those with adhd as children do not meet criteria for adhd as adults. In general, some symptoms especially hyperactivity lessen for everyone. Problems with planning and organization often become the big issue in teens and adults.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Aaron Ament
In brief: STATS
Unsure of stats. Some adults have learned to compensate, but one of my patients newly started on meds said, "doctor, i read a whole book! imagine! first time in my life!" adults can improve life too.

In brief: STATS
Dr. Aaron Ament
Dr. Aaron Ament
Dr. George Valdez
In brief: Sort of
You can always learn to plan, organize, and remember better. We all have strengths and weaknesses.
Success happens when we identify and improve them. Many careers are better suited for adhd. A good resource is additudemag.Com . It's full of ideas for all ages and spectrums of learning differences.

In brief: Sort of
Dr. George Valdez
Dr. George Valdez