Big bump on upper gum. Need a root canal?

Hard to say. Bumps and swellings occur for different reasons. A swelling related to an infected tooth may require root canal. It is most important to have a proper diagnosis before beginning any treatment. See your dentist for the best answer.
Get it checked. Would need a root canal if has decay in tooth..Or a deep existing fill causing periapical infection..Or can also be periodontal abscess..So get it checked..
Go to Endodontist. Have a specialist evaluate your tooth and gums to determine your best therapy.