Can you help with this query? Why is only one of my greatgrandkids a redhead like I am?

Dr. Laura Viehmann

In brief: It's in the genes!

Red hair is inherited.
If you married a blond then you have more chances of passing on the red head gene than if you marry a brunette, especially if the brunette comes from a family without blonds and redheads. Like a coin toss, each pregnancy has the same odds. If you flip a coin 3 times you may get all tails even though each flip has a 50% chance of being heads (assuming equal weight).

In brief: It's in the genes!

Red hair is inherited.
Dr. Laura Viehmann
Dr. Laura Viehmann
Dr. Edward Kuhnley
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Genetics

Genetic transmission of red hair requires two copies of a recessive gene.
If a dominant gene is present then a recessive gene will not express itself. Each parent provides one copy of a gene so both parents must donate a copy of the recessive gene.

In brief: Genetics

Dr. Edward Kuhnley
Dr. Edward Kuhnley
Dr. William Forsythe