Can I have dental xrs in pregnancy? Fullmouth

Dr. Luis Gonzalez

In brief: Yes !

Radiation from modern machines is very small.
Your dentist will cover your abdomen with a lead shield to protect the baby. Take care of your teeth. Most dental work can safely be done while you are pregnant.

In brief: Yes !

Dr. Luis Gonzalez
Dr. Luis Gonzalez
2 comments
Dr. Candy Sebold
As a female and a mom I have to say that I don't see the absolute need for a full mouth series of at least 14 films during pregnancy. While we do use much lower doses of radiation and the lead shield, why do it while pregnant? On the other hand I definitely feel emergency films as needed should be taken.
Dr. James Donley
During the first trimester only emergency x-rays should be taken. During the second and third trimesters, a full set of x-rays and most dental work can be performed. In all situations a protective apron should be used.
Dr. Rocky Dhaliwal
Dentistry

Routine x-rays , usually taken during annual exams, can usually be postponed until after the birth.
X-rays are necessary to perform many dental procedures, especially emergencies.According to the american college of radiology, no single diagnostic x-ray has radiation dose significant enough to cause adverse effects in a developing embryo or fetus.

Dr. Rocky Dhaliwal
Dr. Rocky Dhaliwal
Dr. Ira Biderman
Dentistry

In brief: Ask your obgyn

If there is an emergency then a single xray can be taken of course with a lead apron with a thyoid shield, but if a full series is needed and no pain is present, then can wait until after the birth.

In brief: Ask your obgyn

Dr. Ira Biderman
Dr. Ira Biderman
Dr. Jane Van Dis