Can a mood stabilizer like Depakote or lithium for bipolar disorder works only for the manic episodes?

Dr. Donald Jacobson

In fact, we have far better treatments for mania than we do the depressed side of this illness.
We are all hoping that better treatments for bipolar depression will be found.

Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Donald Jacobson
2 comments
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Latuda is supposed to have this indication for Bipolar Depression.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
And it works well. Also have combo of Prozac and Zyprexa and Seroquel XR.
Dr. Daryl Tanski

In brief: Treatment response

Depakote has best evidence for treatment of acute manic or mixed manic episodes lithium has best evidence for manic episodes, preventing recurrent mood episodes, relieving depressive episodes and reducing suicide risk in the treatment of bipolar disorder.

In brief: Treatment response

Dr. Daryl Tanski
Dr. Daryl Tanski
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Except for Latuda which works better in bipolar depression and is FDA approved for bipolar depression.
Dr. Frank Lane

In brief: Generally, 'No'...

So-called 'mood stabilizers' work on both depression and mania, tending to confine a person's mood swings to a narrower 'band-width', if you will.
Lithium by far has the best record when it comes to preventing bipolar type- i mania. I have also found it very helpful in mood stabilizing effects on people after traumatic brain injury as well as some congenital disorders such as down syndrome.

In brief: Generally, 'No'...

Dr. Frank Lane
Dr. Frank Lane
Dr. Donald Jacobson
But alas not too good in mixed mood states and rapid cycling variants which are more common at least in my neck of the woods.