I have read that painless swollen lymph nodes that are non tender are mostly cancerous. Is this true?

Concerning... Painless lymphadenopathy can be caused by many different things. Anytime there is persistent, painless lymphadenopathy it is concerning for malignancy. However, there are some benign things that can also cause it like autoimmune disorders, skin diseases, tattoos, and medication reactions to name a few. Make sure to follow up and find out what is causing this.
Not true. Lymph nodes can become enlarged from infections, inflammation, and many benign conditions. They can also be enlarged (and painless) if involved by cancer. Typically, we don't worry about cancer for lymph nodes that return to normal size after a few days or weeks.