What can you tell me about degenerative disc disease?

Not a disease. More a condition like calling wrrinkly skin disease commonly asymptomatic age related risk factors include smoking truck driving 30% of people with no backache over age of 30 have findings consiatant with ddd on MRI ddd is a MRI finding not a diagnosis.
Cause of back pain. The disc is a cartilage shock absorber that lies between the bodies of the vertebra (back bones) and certain conditions or injuries can cause the disc to wear and thin and possibly slide out of position thus causing back pain. There are many causes of disk disease from arthritis to injuries. There are also many treatments including exercise, medications, and even surgery.