I have been having cramping in my cervix. I am a female. I have also had a slightly abnormal pap smear results. Is this cervical cancer?

Dr. John Geisler
Gynecology - Oncology

In brief: Cervical cancer

In the presence of cervical cancer, your pap smear would be more than slightly abnormal.

In brief: Cervical cancer

Dr. John Geisler
Dr. John Geisler
Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON

In brief: No

There are several types of abnormal cells but they do not mean that you have cancer.
Cramping in the cervix could be due to cervicitis which can be by cramping of the uterus. You may need to have an ultrasound to check for fibroids or ovarian cysts. Pelvic pain can also be caused by pubic pain or bladder pain.

In brief: No

Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON
Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON
Dr. Bac Nguyen

In brief: Probably not...

Often cervical cancer does not give too much warning signs untill it is too late, thus routine screening is advised to catch it early.
Uterine cramping occurs (common ater pap), but not likely cervix itself. Your pap is only "slightly abnormal", which is very common as well--probably ascus (atypical squamous cell of undetermined significance). F/u with doc, but not to worry too much.. Good luck..

In brief: Probably not...

Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Adam Levy