I am 25 weeks pregnant with my second child. Could backpains be caused by the baby's head on my spine?

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Back pain

It doesn't necessarily mean the baby's head is in your spine.
It is more of the uterus pressure upon the nerves in your spine and its mass effect.

In brief: Back pain

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: No but...

It is not the baby's head, but likely the weight of the whole baby.
Low back pain is very common during pregnancy.

In brief: No but...

Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Alan Patterson

In brief: Possible

Or from other causes lease callyour OB for evaluation and your OB will r/o OB causes and may need to refer u to ortho and you may need some physical therapy on the back.

In brief: Possible

Dr. Alan Patterson
Dr. Alan Patterson
Dr. Estylan Arellano
Emergency Medicine

In brief: No

Back pain during pregnancy is related to postural and hormonal changes from the pregnancy.
Basically, as you progress throughout the pregnancy, the uterus enlarges and moves up o the abdominal area as well as anteriorly. This stretches abdominal muscles and affects its ability to contribute to a neutral posture. Hormones are also produced that causes joint laxity, which contributes to back pain.

In brief: No

Dr. Estylan Arellano
Dr. Estylan Arellano
Dr. Jane Van Dis