After a early positive pregnancy test with blood work and hCG level of 40, progesterone at 6.5 would you prescribe progesterone to boost the level?

Dr. Tracey Leaver-Williams

In brief: No

Your Progesterone is low because you are very early in your pregnancy, unless you have had repetitive pregnancy losses.

In brief: No

Dr. Tracey Leaver-Williams
Dr. Tracey Leaver-Williams
2 comments
Dr. Alan Patterson
too early you are just a few days pregnant ,c an be low that early but you need repeat BHCG and progesterone level since u are so early I would repeat in week instead of the usual 3 days,, but u need to ask your OB, if the progesterone is low u may need vaginal progesterone or it may be a sign of a non viable preg, but I hve seen many low prog early that end up normal
Dr. Carline Louis-Jacques
I would recommend progesterone supplements. I would like to see the initial level close to 15 or higher. An initial level under 10 is not reassuring. Once I initiate the supplement, I continue it until week 12.
Dr. Carline Louis-Jacques

In brief: Progesterone support

I would offer supplement with progesterone while investigating if the pregnancy is normal.
A level under 10 at the initial testing is not reassuring and may indicate at worse an ectopic pregnancy . I would follow the HCG every 2 days. Adding progesterone will only be helpful if the pregnancy is viable and won't affect it if it is an ectopic.

In brief: Progesterone support

Dr. Carline Louis-Jacques
Dr. Carline Louis-Jacques
Dr. Adam Levy