Can strep throat be penicillin resistant?

No, but... Group a strep, the bacteria that causes 'strep throat' is still universally sensitive to pcn. However, other bacteria can cause pharyngitis and acute tonsillitis, as well as many viruses. If you are not getting better, would get back with doc and see if you need a full culture or evaluation for other causes such as mono(caused by ebv virus and can sometimes give false positive result strep test).
Not so far. When tested in labs, the group a strep has not ben found to have any resistance to penicillin or penicillin based drugs. However, there are a few patients that either fail their first treatment or reinfect so quickly that it is hard to believe it works. Living with a strep carrier, using a strep carrying tooth brush, or strep germs sheltering next to some resistent staff germs have been cited.