My baby will be 5 months on april 9th she still has her fist closed most of the time! is that normal still?

Dr. Howard Gollup

In brief: Should be able to...

She should be able to open her hand to let go of something she is holding, and batting at objects, perhaps even starting to reach towards things, maybe grabbing them if she comes across them, usually bringing them to her mouth, esp more towards 5-6 months.
She should be able to do these things pretty equally with both hands. If she's not, i'd check with her dr. To make sure her development is ok.

In brief: Should be able to...

Dr. Howard Gollup
Dr. Howard Gollup
Dr. Sarab Alfata

In brief: Most likely normal

At age 4 months babies start to discover thier hands , if your baby is raching out to objects and only closing hands when he /she is not using them that is normal.
.. I will recommend that you mention this concern to the baby's doctor during your next visit

In brief: Most likely normal

Dr. Sarab Alfata
Dr. Sarab Alfata
Dr. Ray Tidman

In brief: A parents intuition

To be respected. Have your doc ck this at next visit (6m?).
Babies first gather info about their world by tasting. Every thing goes to their mouth. Their main work is eating. Fine motor/ touching is very important. Encourage your child's tactile senses. Your doc will also look at gross motor (head, trunk) control.

In brief: A parents intuition

Dr. Ray Tidman
Dr. Ray Tidman
Dr. Cindy Juster