What causes red blotches around ankles?

Many possibilities. Red blotches can come from swelling, bug bites, eczema, drug reaction, or related to underlying illness. You need to be evaluated to determine the cause.
See a dermatologist. Ankle rashes can be caused by a wide variety of diseases, disorders and conditions, such as infection, inflammation, allergic reaction, parasite and insect bites, and autoimmune processes.It is difficult to make a proper diagnosis since I am not there to see the condition. I recommend seeing a dermatologist so that they can make a proper diagnosis and give you something to get rid of the condition.