How does a cpap machine cure me from apnea? Please someone explain to me how by putting this machine, my brain learn to send orders to breath?

Dr. Gregory Hines
In brief: Airway obstruction
Obstructive sleep apnea is caused by upper airway obstruction, from tonsils or other soft tissues in the back of the throat closing off the airway.
CPAP keeps the pressure up in your upper airways, thus not allowing those tissues to collapse, similar to a partially inflated balloon. This allows you to breathe normally when you sleep.

In brief: Airway obstruction
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: No orders
CPAP does not order the brain to start breathing.
Think of CPAP as sticking your head out of the window of a moving car and breathing.. It forces air into your wind pipe. CPAP machines, though, are very sophisticated. They can be set to delivery just enough air to keep your airway open to prevent collapse.

In brief: No orders
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
2 comments
Dr. Patrick Melder
see this answer as well: https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/99308-as-i-know-the-apnea-s-root-cause-is-not-only-from-the-airway-obstruction-but-from-my-brain-which-does-not-send-orders-to-breathe-is-that-true
Dr. Patrick Melder
When you breathe.. the brain sends a signal to the diaphragm and other muscles to contract to expand the lungs. Obstructive apnea occurs when tissue (palate and tongue) collapse to close the airway. The muscles are still contracting to breathe but there is no airflow because of obstruction. A CPAP machine "pushes" the obstruction out of the way so you can breathe.
In brief: Maybe
Curing sleep apnea is not cut and dried.
A CPAP can work wonders, but lifestyle changes and other health issues need to be under control.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Wlodzimierz Wisniewski
Pediatrics - Neonatology
In brief: Keeps airway open
It will not cure your apnea, meaning that most likely always you will have to use it unless you modify some factors contributing to it such as extreme obesity etc.
CPAP helps to keep your airways open, therefore it is easier to breath. It will prevent periods of low oxygen levels in blood and brain, so it will decrease headaches, tiredness and progressive dementia from low oxygen levels in brain.

In brief: Keeps airway open
Dr. Wlodzimierz Wisniewski
Dr. Wlodzimierz Wisniewski
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology