I have apnea and hypopnea. My doctor told me that the only solution is to put the cpap machine. Is this true?

Dr. Steven Bender
Dentistry
In brief: NO
According to the american academy of sleep medicine guidelines, you should be presented with all your options which includes oral appliances that keep the airway open.
Other strategies are; weight loss, changing sleep positions, and surgery.

In brief: NO
Dr. Steven Bender
Dr. Steven Bender
Dr. Luis Villaplana
In brief: He is right but if
You are obese, weight loss is the ultimate treatment.

In brief: He is right but if
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Vikas Jain
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine
In brief: No
Depends on your osa severity.
There are alternative treatment options such as oral appliance, surgery, and negative pressure therapy such as the winx system. Speak to a board certified fellowship trained sleep specialist.

In brief: No
Depends on your osa severity.
Dr. Vikas Jain
Dr. Vikas Jain
Dr. Sal Aragona
Dentistry
In brief: No
According to 2006 american academy of sleep medicine practice parameters, oral appliances are indicated for use in patients with mild or moderate obstructive sleep apnea who prefer them over CPAP and should be completed by a dentist with advanced training in sleep medicine.

In brief: No
Dr. Sal Aragona
Dr. Sal Aragona
Dr. John Chastain
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Nope
You probably have obstructive sleep apnea, much more common than central apnea (where one "forgets to breathe").
The only real treatment for central apnea is cpap, and while osa is treated with great success with CPAP too, other treatments for osa include weight loss and surgery to open the airway (up3, tongue base reduction, septoplasty, etc.). Talk with an ENT surgeon to assess your candidacy.

In brief: Nope
Dr. John Chastain
Dr. John Chastain
In brief: YES and NO
The CPAP machine and the many variations of CPAP are the "gold standard" of care for sleep apnea.
But many people can't tolerate the machines for a variety of reasons including comfort, claustrophobia, etc. I get a lot of referrals from sleep specialists in the quad cities to make these patients oral mouthpieces, designed to bring the mandible forward and hold it there which opens up the airway.

In brief: YES and NO
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology