Does Claritin do the same job as benadryl (diphenhydramine)?

Similar, yes. They are both antihistamine, but Claritin is classified as nondrowsy. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) seems more effective in controlling allergies symptoms, but has more potential to cause drowsiness etc... So, if your allergy is not too bad, it is reasonable to try claritin. Claritin is once daily comparing with Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 3-4x/day if this fail, consult your doc for additional treatments etc... Good luck.
Essentially. They are both antihistamines, which help with the sneezing, runny nose and itchy eyes. They are different in some ways however. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is short acting, so you would need to take it about 4 times a day, and it makes most people sleepy. Claritin is taken once a day, and doesn't make most people sleepy.