If I start taking Lexapro (escitalopram) do I need to take it for the rest of my life?

Dr. Bac Nguyen

In brief: Not necessarily

It depends on you.
.If this is the first time using medication for anxiety/depression and you do well on it, you maybe able to wean off in 6-12 months, but if you have severe/recurrent depression, the treatment duration is longer, some may need life-time treatment after having multiple severe episodes etc... Consult/followup with doc regularly for monitoring... Good luck.

In brief: Not necessarily

It depends on you.
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Cynthia Point

In brief: Maybe, or not

If it helps you, plan on taking it for about 6 months.
You might be able to stop it then, and do well off it, but sometimes people find that they drift back into depression off the medicine, so feel better if they stay on it. It is safe to take it for long periods of time.

In brief: Maybe, or not

Dr. Cynthia Point
Dr. Cynthia Point