My sons cough is very bad and was wondering could this be whooping cough or pertussis?

Dr. Mark Patterson
In brief: Would need to test
Vaccination for pertussis is included in the immunizations given at 2, 4, 6, and 15 months, with a booster at 4-6 years.
How old is your son and is he up to date on his immunizations? Pertussis can be a very serious infection and outbreaks occur due to under-immunization. If his cough sounds bad or he is acting ill, take him to his doctor and mention your concerns.

In brief: Would need to test
Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology
In brief: Many conditions
It could be pertussis, even if he has been vaccinated.
There are several conditions including asthma, aspiration and CF in addition to infections which can cause a bad cough. I would suggest checking his temperature, keeping him well hydrated and taking a recording of his cough to your physician or uploading for a virtual consult.

In brief: Many conditions
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: See your doctor if..
A cough present for several weeks with difficulty catching his breath or turning red/purple in the face while coughing, needs evaluated.
The classic whooping sound , of course is a clue.

In brief: See your doctor if..
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Steven Seres