Just diagnosed with a staph infection? Do I need to stop work as waitress?

Dr. David Finke
In brief: Controversial, but..
I would say no, as long as you practice good hand hygiene and consider wearing gloves frequently at work.
Staphylococcus is all around us and you won't pass it to others if you wash hands frequently with antibacterial soaps and/or use alcohol based hand disinfectant.

In brief: Controversial, but..
Dr. David Finke
Dr. David Finke
Dr. Martin Raff
Staph is transmitted from lesion to hand to another person's hand to their nose or an open lesion. It is rarely transmitted through inanimate objects. I assume your Staph infection is being treated. You should be OK with frequent washing with soap and water and not touching the area involved.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham