Can I have preterm birth and my baby can die from periodontal disease?

Dr. Jason Cataldo
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Yes.

A mother with periodontal disease is at increased risk of having a pre-term low birth weight baby.
This is documented and the consensus. Obviously a baby can die from being pre-term and low birthweight but the degree to which this may be a result only of periodontitis can be difficult to determine and is unlikely. Obviously a newborn cannot have periodontal disease themselves.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Jason Cataldo
Dr. Jason Cataldo
Dr. Dell Goodrick
Dentistry

Periodontal disease in pregnant women has been linked to preterm or low birth weight babies.
Be sure to receive hygiene care during your pregnancy.

Dr. Dell Goodrick
Dr. Dell Goodrick
Dr. Thomas Lin

In brief: Absolutely not!

Periodontal disease is not associated with prematurity.
Preterm infants have no dentition to be plagued with periodontal problems.

In brief: Absolutely not!

Dr. Thomas Lin
Dr. Thomas Lin