How exactly does a doctor go about diagnosing psoriatic arthritis?

Mostly clinical. Skin lesions and arthritis are the first step of evaluation ladder. The comes blood test, radiological evaluation.
Exam, X-rays. Psoriatic arthritis is a diagnosis made mainly by physical examination, based on the presence of psoriasis on the skin and the typical inflammatory arthritis of the joints. There is no laboratory test to diagnose psoriatic arthritis, but tests are often done to rule out rheumatoid arthritis, which can look similar. X-rays may show cartilage or bone changes indicative of psoriatic arthritis.