I have a hernia in my stomach and I have found that I am having serious bouts of heart burn. Are both conditions related?

Maybe. There are however many people with gerd and no hiatal hernia, and many with large hiatal hernias and no gerd. Treatment is the same unless the hernia is large (paraesophageal) - lifestyle changes, medications, endoscopic or surgical procedures. Hope this helps!
Yes, You could probably have a hiatal hernia that permits acid to regurgitate in the esophagus. U need to se and gastro-entomologist as chronic acid reflux is not healthy for the esophagus, your voice box as well as your lungs. See the dr. Asap!