I have a severe sore throat, fever, congestion, headaches and nausea. I have been taking an antibiotic for a toothache. Why am i getting sick if I have been on an antibiotic?

Dr. Kayvon Javid
Dentistry

In brief: Unrelated

You may have got the flu and it has nothing to do with your tooth and or the antibiotics.

In brief: Unrelated

Dr. Kayvon Javid
Dr. Kayvon Javid
Dr. David Kam
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Sore throat

Many sore throat, runny nose and cough are from a viral infection.
It just need to run it's course of 7-10 days. Antibiotic will do nothing and can be the cause of upset stomach. Bed rest, hydration and otc cold and cough medicine will help you.

In brief: Sore throat

Dr. David Kam
Dr. David Kam

In brief: Different infections

Different infections need different antibiotics! unfortunately a single antibiotic may not work for both a toothache and sore throat/congestion.
See your md!

In brief: Different infections

See your md!
Dr. Fernando Juliao
Dr. Fernando Juliao
Dr. Jason Alliger
Dentistry - Endodontics

In brief: Virus vs. Bacterial

Often a "cold" is viral in nature and will not respond to anti-biotics.
A tooth ache is typically caused by bacteria so an antibiotic can be used for the infection if deemed necesary. If your cold is viral, antibiotic most liekly will not help.

In brief: Virus vs. Bacterial

Dr. Jason Alliger
Dr. Jason Alliger
Dr. Peter Kurzweil