Why is self esteem related to body image?

Voices Within Us. It's painful not 2feel good about urself. I wonder what kind of "mirroring" u got when u were young -what u heard about urself from adults around u, esp ur caregivers, while growing up. If their voices were critical & harsh, vs nurturing & encouraging. I wonder if u felt criticized 4ur appearance or u heard adults being critical of own/others' looks. We tend 2absorb msgs we hear repeatedly as kids.
Reproduction. To bond and reproduce is a basic human need. If we preceive ourselves as unattractive we doubt our ability to achieve this need and self esteem is damaged.
Mental Health . The "why' questions are nearly impossible to answer in medicine. Why do things happen a certain way? If we do not know the why answers we just deal with the realities of what they are causing. If self esteem in your case is related to body image then that is what you work on with your therapist.